Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The NO Name Industry Diorama

Ok, here is the first structure. Its called the No Name Industry Diorama, for the reason that I do not have a name for it yet. I have yet to decide on what type of business or industry this building houses. The view below shows the trackside of the building.


The following pics show the rear and side of the building. It has an "open" shop, with rolled canvas blinds.


I first made a drawing of this building on a CAD program. After the major elevations were laid out, i created wall patterns for laser cutting. I loaded this patterns on the laser cutter, and cut it on clear acrylic. When I had all the walls and windows cut, i glued individual wood strips to the walls, covering all the clear acrylic walls with wood to create a siding look. I am pleased with how it turned out. Each wood strip was pre-stained, and when glued to the acrylic walls, created the siding effect I was looking for. All the other elements of the building, like the canopies, stairs, water tank, etc, were all laser cut from either acrylic or wood, then stained and weathered to match the building.
After i had the building assembled, I went on the make the windows. I laser cut all the windows myself. The glazings are also laser cut acrylics. I wanted to use acetate, but realized that temperature changes could affect the acetate. So i decided to use acrylic instead. Besides, I wanted the glazings to fit exactly on the window openings.
I scratchbuilt most of the details (shelves, tanks, pallettes, crates, boxes,etc) using various styrene shapes and strips. I had some wheels and gears laser cut in various sizes using 1/16" acrylic, painted them black, and weathered with pastel chalks. I wanted to cast the details, but decided that each diorama I make should be unique from the rest and should not have repetitive details, so i thought i would scratchbuild each.





Thanks for dropping by. I hope to post my next work in a couple of days.
PEACE!















3 comments:

  1. That is one beautiful model! I wish I had your talent. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this structure because it is so generic. And being generic, it inspires alternations. First off, I'd build it in HO scale. I'd change the brick addition to stone, add a chimney/smoke stack and a tin roof and make it a boiler house. My railroad is in Minnesota so no need for the canvas shades. No one works outside in an open "shop" in the winter. Maybe add a vent to the roof and a roof to the water tank and "presto" it becomes a...? Fertilizer factory? Or maybe a brass foundry? I need a design for both of those industries. In any case, thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful. What kind of cutter are you using? I'm thinking of purchasing a hobby cutter, but It's difficult to know what to look for.

    ReplyDelete